Audit Graduate Programme - Guildford
BDO. Because relationships matter.
BDO LLP is one of the UK’s largest accountancy and business advisory firms providing services to ambitious businesses within the UK and worldwide. With more than 3,500 talented people, generating close to £400m in UK revenues, we bring real leadership across the mid-market. We are a member of BDO International, the world’s fifth largest global accountancy network, which has more than 1,260 offices worldwide, spread across 147 countries. We are a profitable, dynamic and forward-looking firm with a reputation for quality. Our ambition is to be the leader for exceptional client service.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
Being at BDO is personally as well as professionally fulfilling. Relationships matter, and we have a friendly and inclusive culture built around our core values of honesty and integrity; empowerment and personal responsibility; mutual support and respect; and professional and personal client relationships.
As auditors, we look to see if the client’s statements about their financial position are true, fair and accurate. We work closely with their finance team and other key people to get to know their business well and understand the risks they face. Then we can identify any weaknesses in their financial statements, business systems or culture, and so advise them on suitable solutions.
Being a BDO auditor means variety. You get to work on a range of different organisations, with each day bringing new challenges. A lot of it takes place at the client’s premises, which is a great way to absorb the atmosphere of the business and get a sense of its culture, how the people like to work and what motivates them to perform – all of which are major factors in the health of a business.
As auditors we also like to build long-term relationships with our clients, getting to know them and their business really well. By doing this, you’ll find you can more readily spot potential problems, often before they arise.
You are part of our team from day one, playing active roles in assignments and contributing in many areas. As you learn new skills via first-hand experience, you can get support whenever you need it from your senior team mates.
An Audit Trainee will form part of the audit team both on-site at clients, and in the office, ensuring that all aspects of the audit are completed on time and within budget. Will be expected to study for and complete your accounting qualification over the 3 year period, and will be supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the audit group.
As a Trainee Auditor you will study towards an appropriate qualification, usually either the ACA (from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) or the CA (from ICAS) in Scotland. There may well be other qualifications you can obtain along the way.
Audit contains many different streams and, if successful, you could be working in one of the below areas amongst others:
- Real Estate
- Public Sector Assurance
- Professional Services
- Not for Profit
- Consumer Markets
- Energy Mining Industry
- Technology Media
- Public Sector – Internal Audit
- Risk and Advisory Services – Internal Audit
We look to accommodate your first or second preference for office location but this will depend on demand and business needs.
Business Area Overview
- Assist within the wider team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given.
- Prepare analysis of accounting data from clients books and records.
- Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; check appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and documenting all conclusions.
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence.
- Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget.
- Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Executive or Manager.
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
- Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to the Executive or Manager.
- Build strong relationships with new and established clients.
- Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required by your group.
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group.
- Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office.
- Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
In line with our 2017 Trainee Programme entry requirements for our Graduate Programme candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline
3 A levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
A* - C at GCSE in Maths & English Language