Human Capital Tax Trainee
|Job Title:||Human Capital Tax Trainee|
|Contract Type:||School Leavers & Apprenticeships|
|Salary:||18000 - 24000|
|Job Published:||April 14, 2018 22:01|
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 18 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
Achieving my potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.
A BDO client will generally have some short-term goals and a long-term vision. But standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our Job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
To do this, we must offer many different tax services. These include day-to-day compliance with the tax authorities, advice on employment taxation and international tax, transaction support for deals such as mergers and acquisitions, VAT services, expatriate tax advice and more. Such a diverse offering means we need similar variety in our team. We need specialists who can handle the most technically challenging and sector-specific issues, we need versatile and people-focused individuals who can field a wide range of questions from large owner-managed businesses, and we need brilliant innovators who can work on tailored solutions to address a client’s specific circumstances.
Our Human Capital Tax department is made up of approximately 50 team members, primarily centred in London. We advise companies with regard to tax and social security (NIC) issues affecting employees. The wider department is split into three teams: Employment Taxes (compliance and remuneration planning), Reward (share schemes) and Expatriate Tax (employees moving around the globe).
The Employment Tax team provides a comprehensive range of both advisory and compliance services to help clients better understand the risks and identify potential savings from the costs of employment while continuing to motivate staff. Typical areas that we look at include: termination payments, whether a worker is employed or self-employed, the tax and reporting treatment of expenses and benefits, payroll matters, salary sacrifice and many others.
A role within this team would give an opportunity to learn about all aspects of employment taxation. Initially you would deal mainly with tax compliance matters and more basic advisory work but you would have early exposure to clients and the opportunity to shadow more senior members of the team on calls/at meetings so there is an early opportunity for interaction with clients. With experience there would be increased exposure to both client relationships and advisory matters.
Trainees joining us on the School Leaver Programme will spend 2 years working in the business and during that time will study towards the ATT qualification (Association of Taxation Technicians). Following the successful completion of ATT, you will continue on to study towards the CTA (Chartered Institute of Taxation) over the next 3 years, allowing you to become fully qualified within 5 years.
Business Area Overview
- Assist the Employment Tax team in servicing their clients, working primarily with Assistant Managers and Managers but also direct working with senior team members on tax advisory and compliance projects.
- Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the wider Employment Tax team.
- Prepare compliance returns e.g., Forms P11D and PAYE Settlement Agreement calculations, and support the Manager responsible for the team’s compliance portfolio.
- Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation.
- Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the relevant Manager.
- Ensure professional standards are met.
- Focus on delivering high quality work with attention to detail.
- Able to prioritise.
- Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings.
- Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm.
- Provide an efficient and proactive service to clients and the wider employment tax team to ensure that their needs are fully met.
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team.
- Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges provided by their Manager.
Candidates must have, or be on course for, the following grades (or international equivalent):
- 3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects.
- A*- C at GCSE in Maths & English Language.
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate strengths which are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and Others & Decision Making.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's