BDO Early In Career
5 days ago
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 offices across the UK, employing 3,500 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £428m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 74,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $8.1bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
'Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.
A BDO client will generally have some short – term goals and a long- term vision- But standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our Job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
To do this, we must offer many different tax services. These include day-to-day compliance with the tax authorities, advice on employment taxation and international tax, transaction support for deals such as mergers and acquisitions, VAT services, expatriate tax advice and more. Such a diverse offering means we need similar variety in our team. We need specialists who can handle the most technically challenging and sector-specific issues, we need versatile and people-focused individuals who can field a wide range of questions from large owner-managed businesses, and we need brilliant innovators who can work on tailored solutions to address a client’s specific circumstances.
As an Indirect Tax Trainee you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks covering both VAT compliance and VAT advisory. There is no daily routine and the nature of the role means it is varied and challenging. You will have regular client contact. In addition you will be required to liaise directly with HMRC, Indirect Tax experts across the BDO network and colleagues in other sectors as and when required.
As a Tax Trainee your Programme you will spend 1.5 years working in the business while studying for your ATT qualification
After this you will go on to study towards the CTA (Chartered Institute of Taxation)
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed as part of the wider team to service clients.
• Prepare client VAT returns and other statistical VAT declarations.
• Assist clients with various other VAT matters including but not limited to VAT registrations, De-registrations, disclosures to HMRC, Notification of Options to Tax etc.
• Attend client meetings and prepare VAT advice as and when directed.
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation.
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the client project team.
• Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings.
• Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm.
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team.
• Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges as and when directed.
Alongside their day to day work commitments, trainees will also be expected to undertake any training or development required for their role and for the purpose of studying for their professional qualifications.
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
• 3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
• A*- C at GCSE in Maths & English Language
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths which are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making.