Tax Graduate - Indirect Tax
|Job Title:||Tax Graduate - Indirect Tax|
|Contract Type:||Graduate Role|
|Salary:||19000 - 24000|
|Job Published:||May 09, 2018 17:34|
With a fast growing Indirect Tax practice, as a new Indirect Tax trainee you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks covering both VAT compliance and VAT advisory. The team would fully support technical and personal development but you would be encouraged to carry out your own research from the outset. You will also work with staff from other streams at all grades. You will have regular client contact and would be expected to liaise with Indirect Tax experts throughout the world, as increasingly Indirect Tax problems are international in nature.
The role supports qualification relevant to the role.
A career in indirect tax requires excellent intellectual skills and a strong common sense business approach. An ability with spreadsheets can be advantageous but most important is a good team working ethic and an interest in problem solving. A Indirect Tax career is similar to that in other Taxes, but with a greater emphasis on advisory work from day one. The role of an Indirect Tax trainee is varied and challenging. There is no daily routine. For the future there are roles at all levels in Practice from Junior to Partner, with genuine opportunities to progress on merit. There are also equivalent roles in industry.
Business Area Overview
The VAT team advises a wide variety of clients from owner managed businesses to multi-national corporations. We also have a number of clients in the not for profit, charity and social housing sectors. Their work is predominantly advisory with a relatively small amount of compliance and typical VAT work includes:
• Advising businesses on the impact of VAT on different business models and structures
• Advising businesses on the impact of overseas VAT on supply chains
• Dispute resolution where HMRC have taken a contrary view of the VAT treatment applied by a business. This can involve negotiations with the HMRC or litigation.
• Advice on VAT structuring to achieve an advantageous position commercially
• Some compliance work – usually carrying out risk reviews or pulling together VAT return figures for international clients