Competitive + benefits
BDO Early In Career
19 days ago
A BDO client will generally have some short-term goals and a long-term vision. But standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our Job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
Our VAT team is a large and internationally connected group of people, ranging from graduates just starting in their careers to Partners leading the business. They are involved in everything that the firm does and have whole areas of interest of their own. Whilst they do get involved in some compliance work, they are mainly advisory, working directly with clients providing guidance and helping resolve disputes with HMRC. The VAT rules are often subjective and the work is both intellectually challenging and generally has a high impact on our clients.
As an Indirect Tax Trainee, you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks covering both VAT compliance and VAT advisory. There is no daily routine and the nature of the role means it is varied and challenging. You will have regular client contact. In addition you will be required liaise directly with HMRC, Indirect Tax experts across the BDO network and colleagues in other sectors as and when required.
BDO offer the Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) Qualification on the Level 7 apprenticeship programme. This Apprenticeship is an employer-designed programme which offers a route to become a Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA). A career in tax will provide you with variety, if you enjoy working with people, the challenge of problem solving and an ever-changing, dynamic working environment then a career in tax is for you. The duration of this programme is 36 months.
Business Area Overview
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed as part of the wider team to service clients
• Prepare client VAT returns and other statistical VAT declarations
• Assist clients with various other VAT matters including but not limited to VAT registrations, De-registrations, disclosures to HMRC, Notification of Options to Tax etc
• Attend client meetings and prepare VAT advice as and when directed
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention to the client project team
• Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings
• Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team
• Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges as and when directed
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline;
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE