BDO Early In Career
29 days ago
A BDO client will generally have some short – term goals and a long- term vision; but standing in their way will often be a number of tax-related issues. Our Job is to act as guides through the complex, ever- changing landscape of tax legislation, to help our clients get where they want to be by the most effective route.
To do this, we must offer many different tax services. These include day-to-day compliance with the tax authorities, advice on employment taxation and international tax, transaction support for deals such as mergers and acquisitions, VAT services, expatriate tax advice and more. Such a diverse offering means we need similar variety in our team. We need specialists who can handle the most technically challenging and sector-specific issues, we need versatile and people-focused individuals who can field a wide range of questions from large owner-managed businesses, and we need brilliant innovators who can work on tailored solutions to address a client’s specific circumstances.
Our team of indirect tax specialists provide a bespoke, personal service delivering market leading advice and guidance on all indirect tax matters (predominantly VAT, Customs and Excise Duties) to help our clients solve tax and business issues quickly and efficiently. We also assist clients with dispute resolution and advise clients alongside Counsel during the course of litigation.
As the UK Member Firm of BDO International, we are well connected to advise their businesses wherever they do business and we provide advice on international indirect tax developments around the globe.
As an Indirect Tax Trainee you can expect to be involved in a wide variety of tasks and may be involved in any of the VAT services from the very start. Although we do a small amount of VAT compliance you will mainly be involved with delivering consultancy and dispute resolution services.
There is no daily routine and the nature of the role means it is varied and challenging. You will have regular client contact and will work closely with senior professional staff. In addition, you will be required liaise directly with HMRC, Indirect Tax experts across the BDO network in the UK and overseas, as well as colleagues in other teams as and when required.
As a VAT trainee your training consists of a 3 year structured programme around working and studying. You will study towards CTA (Chartered Institute of Taxation).
Business Area Overview
- Take responsibility for all client matters as directed as part of the wider team to service clients.
- Assist clients with various other VAT matters including but not limited to VAT registrations, De-registrations, disclosures to HMRC, Notification of Options to Tax etc.
- Attend client meetings and prepare VAT advice as and when directed.
- Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation.
- Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention to the client project team.
- Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings.
- Develop professional relationships with clients and within the firm.
- Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by the Tax team.
- Willing and open to take on tasks and challenges as and when directed.
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
- A minimum 2.2 degree in any discipline;
- 3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
- A*- C at GCSE in Maths & English Language
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate strengths which are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making.